Ep. 7 RayOne EMV Billing Packages in the United States
Monday, 9 January 2023
Dr Eric Donnenfeld (guest)
Dr Eric Donnenfeld is an internationally recognised expert and pioneer in refractive, cornea and cataract surgery and one of the leading refractive and cataract surgeons in the United States. He has won numerous awards, including being named Newsweek’s best ophthalmologist in America in both 2022 and 2021.
Dr Jerry Hu (guest)
Dr Jerry Hu is a leading private practitioner in the United States with a keen interest in academic and clinical research endeavors. He has extensive experience in the treatment of cataract, refractive surgeries, corneal diseases, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, dry eyes, and other ocular diseases. He is widely published in various fields of ophthalmic research and is a frequent lecturer and speaker at many national and regional conferences.
Because the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services consider the RayOne EMV a non-premium lens, it means that US surgeons cannot bill patients directly for this IOL. However, Dr Eric Donnenfeld (United States) and Dr Jerry Hu (United States) still prefer to use the RayOne EMV, and have created billing packages so that they can offer it to their patients without actually charging for it; by including the RayOne EMV in a package deal, doctors are able to charge for additional services only. Listen to this episode of ‘Peer2Peer: The Podcast’ now to find out how Dr Donnenfeld and Dr Hu have successfully found a place for the RayOne EMV at their practices in the United States.
- RayOne EMV is considered a non-premium lens by CMS in the United States, which means that surgeons cannot bill patients directly for this IOL.
- Dr Donnenfeld does not charge patients for the RayOne EMV lens; instead, it is included in his ‘Limbal Relaxing Incision for Pre-Existing Astigmatism’ billing package.
- In his ‘Smart Vision’ billing package, Dr Hu stays within regulations by combining the RayOne EMV with ORA intraoperative wavefront aberrometry to give his patients monovision and to correct their astigmatism.
- Dr Donnenfeld’s lens of choice for his ‘Refractive’ billing package — and for his practice — is RayOne EMV because he believes that it gives patients the most value: quality distance and intermediate vision.
- Since implanting RayOne EMV, Dr Hu has not had any patients complain about having decreased quality of vision, and the data suggests that all of his RayOne EMV patients have great distance vision.
Peer2Peer educational platform
RayOne EMV Billing Testimonial feat. Dr Eric Donnenfeld (USA) and Dr Jerry Hu (USA)
RayOne EMV and TECNIS Eyhance: A Comparative Clinical Defocus Curve
RayOne EMV: First Clinical Results
Find out more about RayOne EMV.