Rayner Group Environmental Policy
Rayner manufactures and distributes medical products for use in ophthalmic surgery. We recognise that our activities, products and services may have an impact on the environment and recognise the critical importance of protecting the environment for current and future generations. In acknowledging our corporate responsibility, the Company and it’s employees have an obligation to minimise environmental impact by continually improving our environmental performance.
As part of our dedication to environmental stewardship, we have developed this Environmental Policy to guide our actions, minimise our environmental footprint, and promote sustainable practices throughout the Organisation.
The Organisation’s policy is to comply or exceed the requirements of environmental legislation and regulation.
- The Organisation will review and explore measures for the reduction of volumes of all waste materials it generates.
- The Organisation shall include environmental considerations in all marketing and capital spending decisions, manufacturing processes, selection of materials and packaging materials and equipment and facility designs.
- The Organisation will explore opportunities for recycling all possible waste materials. Our ultimate aim will be to recycle any waste material that can be recycled.
- The Organisation will aim to reduce levels of energy consumption wherever possible. The Organisation will introduce working practices that requires equipment such as computers, screens, lights, phones, chargers, photocopiers and printers to be “switched off” when not in use, including during breaks and at the end of the working day. The Organisation will also ensure that heating, lighting and ventilation are used efficiently and effectively.
- The Organisation will explore, and implement where possible, energy saving measures such as labelling switches to avoid lights and other appliances being left on when not in use, installing occupancy sensors in areas such as kitchens, store cupboards, toilets and locker rooms, making use of natural light where possible, encouraging staff to use the stairs, if they can, rather than lifts, monitoring timings and temperatures of the Organizations’ heating and cooling systems to see if any energy saving adjustments can be made, checking the energy efficiency of appliances such as fridges and replacing these where necessary, and replacing kettles with instant boiling water dispensers.
- The Organisation will work with our suppliers to prioritize environmentally responsible materials and engage in sustainable sourcing practices. Wherever possible and appropriate we will purchase and use energy efficient products, such as energy saving light bulbs, smart switches, water saving devices etc.
- The Organisation will review, and improve where appropriate, the insulation and draught-proofing of its facilities.
- The Organisation will review opportunities and consider implementing measures for the reduction of the use of water, in line with the Annex to this policy.
- The Organisation will aim to reduce levels of pollution emissions wherever possible.
- The Organisation will use technology to reduce the need to travel, and encourage staff to use public transport or electric vehicles, where travel is unavoidable.
- The Organisation will ensure that all employees are made aware and have access to a copy of this environmental policy. The Organisation will also ensure that the Company’s environmental policy is freely available to customers and interested members of the public and is committed to regularly review the policy to ensure that we are a green aware and environmentally friendly Organisation.
- Every employee, contractor, and stakeholder associated with the Organisation is responsible for implementing and supporting this Environmental Policy and the annexed Water Usage Policy. Specifically:
- Executive Committee: as senior leaders within the business, the Organisation’s Executive Committee will provide leadership, allocate resources, and ensure that the Environmental Policy is integrated into all aspects of the business.
- Employees: All employees are expected to follow company environmental procedures and guidelines, report environmental incidents, and actively participate in environmental initiatives.
- Contractors and Suppliers: the Organisation will work with contractors and suppliers to ensure they adhere to the same environmental standards and expectations.
- The Organisation is committed to protecting the environment and minimising our ecological footprint. Through this Environmental Policy, we aim to promote sustainable practices, reduce environmental impacts, and be responsible corporate citizens. We invite all employees, contractors, and stakeholders to join us in this commitment to environmental stewardship.
This policy will be reviewed annually by the Rayner Group Executive Committee and will be updated and maintained at all levels in the Organisation and at all sites, as detailed on the Rayner Surgical Group Document – RSG Organisational Chart.
Annex – Water Usage Policy
As a medical device manufacturer, the use of water is an integral part of our production process. The Organisation recognises the vital importance of water as a finite and precious resource. As a responsible corporate citizen, we are committed to promoting water efficiency and environmental performance in all aspects of our operations.
As part of the Organisation’s overarching Environmental Policy, this Water Usage Policy outlines our dedication to sustainable water management practices.
- Water Usage Principles
The Organisation commits to the following principles regarding water usage:
- Efficiency: We will strive to minimise water consumption across all our operations through the efficient use of water resources.
- Conservation: We will actively work to conserve water resources, reduce waste, and prevent water pollution.
- Compliance: We will adhere to all applicable water-related laws, regulations, and industry standards.
- Continuous Improvement: We will regularly assess and improve our water management practices to achieve higher levels of efficiency and environmental performance.
- Key Objectives
The Organisation will pursue the following key objectives to promote water efficiency and environmental performance:
- Water Reduction: We will actively manage our water consumption by implementing water-efficient technologies, optimising processes, and conducting regular water audits to identify and address inefficiencies.
- Water Quality: We will prevent water pollution by carefully managing the discharge of wastewater, treating it as necessary to meet or exceed regulatory standards, and implementing best practices for the protection of water quality.
- Sustainable Practices: We will promote sustainable water sourcing practices, such as rainwater harvesting and responsible groundwater usage, whenever possible.
- Monitoring and Reporting
The Organisation will regularly monitor and measure our water usage and quality against established objectives and targets. We will maintain records of our water data, incidents, and compliance with water-related regulations.
- Review and Revision
As part of the Environmental Policy, this Water Usage Policy will be reviewed periodically to ensure its effectiveness and relevance. It will be updated as needed to reflect changes in water-related regulations, industry best practices, and the evolving needs of the Organisation.